Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008

3 posters

Go down

Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008 Empty Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008

Post by --->Da[V]id<--- Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:15 am

Info Provided by www.v8supercar.com.au

PWR returns with single car Holden Commodore VE entry for rising star Young gun Andrew Thompson has signed to drive a Holden in this year’s V8 Supercar Championship Series.

Thompson, 20, will campaign the #50 PWR Performance Products Commodore VE in his first fulltime V8 season, with additional backing from Hog’s Breath Café and Queensland property marketers InvestQld.com.

PWR Racing will run the single car program from its Dandenong, Melbourne, race headquarters, with technical assistance from Walkinshaw Performance.

“I have been chipping away at a V8 ‘main game’ deal for the past six to seven months and it’s taken some work. I’ve had to be patient and wait until it was all signed and sealed, and now it is its full steam ahead,” an excited Thompson said.

PWR Racing Team Principal, Kees Weel said the opportunity to sign one of the sport’s brightest young stars was enough for him to reverse his decision not to field an entry in this year’s V8 series.

“You’ve got to introduce new blood and Andrew’s a fast and extremely talented young bloke worthy of being given a go. When this opportunity came up it wasn’t a difficult decision to jump straight back in,” Weel said.

“With continued technical support from Walkinshaw Performance we’ll give Andrew a good car and he’ll impress.”

The electrifying Gold Coaster first came to notice in karting, winning 13 State and two National titles and the CIK/FIA Oceania Championship before he won the Ford Kart Stars ‘scholarship’ series as a 15 year old in 2003.

In his first season of circuit racing in 2004, Thompson ran a shortened Formula Ford campaign, securing a race win and second overall in the Bathurst FFord Trophy and a round win in the Victorian State Series, finishing 11th in national series points.

Sitting out 2005, Thompson signed with balls Johnson Racing the following year to contest the second tier Fujitsu V8 Supercar Series, finishing eighth overall and winning the season’s two final rounds – blitzing the field at Bathurst before backing that win up at Phillip Island.

He again contested the development series last year, but cut short his campaign with Howard Racing after just five rounds, electing to concentrate on his Sandown and Bathurst enduro debut with DJR.

After mechanical problems forced Thompson and co-driver Alex Davison out at Sandown, he struck back to finish eighth in his maiden Bathurst 1000 appearance, the highest placed rookie.

Thompson will have his first taste of a Holden at the official V8 Supercar pre-season test at Winton Motor Raceway, near Benalla, in two weeks before heading to Adelaide for the season-opening Clipsal 500 on 21-24 February.

“The first goal is to get into the car and get comfortable before Adelaide, while also trying to feel the difference between the Commodore and Falcon,” Thompson said.

Touted as a potential future champion, Thompson said he won’t feel any external pressures to perform when he makes his fulltime V8 debut next month.

“The only pressure I feel when I’m racing comes from within me, trying to achieve what I’ve set my sights on. If I can satisfy myself, then everything else will be looked after.”
--->Da[V]id<---
--->Da[V]id<---
Fan Club President
Fan Club President

Number of posts : 713
Ford/Holden/Neutral? : Holden
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008 Empty Re: Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008

Post by Admin_Holden Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:18 am

So that's where the PWR license is heading... thanks for the "additional" info that you gave me from my PWR topic this morning...
Admin_Holden
Admin_Holden
The Enforcer

Number of posts : 1390
Ford/Holden/Neutral? : Holden.
What is your favorite team/driver? : Tasman is my team, JR is my driver.
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.v8superchat.co.nr (WELL DUH!)

Back to top Go down

Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008 Empty Re: Andrew Thompson racing for PWR in 2008

Post by fordman6 Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 am

Good luck to you Andrew, you'll need it!
fordman6
fordman6
Formerly Admin_Ford
Formerly Admin_Ford

Number of posts : 958
Ford/Holden/Neutral? : Ze mighty Blue Oval! Ja!
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.v8superchat.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down